May. 5, 2016

Traffic and Infractions

The Traffic Division is located at 1175 Civic Center Blvd. in Yuba City. Office hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday, except court holidays.


If you receive a traffic citation, you have several options available, depending on the type of violation cited and how you choose to plead. These options are described in a courtesy notice sent to the address listed on the citation. You must take action to resolve or contest your citation by the appearance date written at the bottom of the citation, or additional penalties in the amount of $325 will be added without further notice.  Failure to receive the courtesy notice is not an acceptable excuse for not clearing the citation by the appearance date listed on the citation. 


Moving Violations

Moving violations are violations related to the driving and operation of a motor vehicle. Penalties and options for moving violations may include a fine, proof of correction, attendance at traffic violator school, or entering a plea of not guilty, posting bail and requesting a court trial. In some instances a mandatory court appearance may be required.

Correctable Violations (commonly called a fix-it ticket)

A correctable violation is one that pertains to vehicle registration, driver’s license, insurance or deffective or broken equipment. If you receive a citation for a correctable violation, you may submit proof of correction with the appropriate fee(s), either by mail or in person to the Traffic Division. To establish proof of correction, a law enforcement officer or other authority as indicated below must sign the back of your citation or courtesy notice listing each violation that was corrected.

  • Pollution Control Device violations may be signed off by a law enforcement agency unless it is noted that it be certified by a smog check station licensed by the California Bureau of Automotive Repair.
  • Registration/Driver's License Violations can be certified by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) clerk, a traffic clerk or law enforcement agency.
  • Proof of Insurance for VC 16028(a) violations may be  submitted directly to the court. If you were covered by insurance at the time you received the traffic citation but the proof of insurance was not in the vehicle, you can mail or bring your insurance policy or insurance card showing the dates of coverage to the Traffic Division. For a single violation, a fee of $25 must be paid to the Court. Multiple violations must be paid in full. If submitting proof through the mail, please make checks payable to Sutter Superior Court and include your case or citation number.

If you purchased insurance coverage after you received the citation, you may mail a copy or bring your insurance policy or insurance card, showing the effective dates of coverage, to the clerk's office and  the fine for the insurance violation only may be reduced by 50%. 

If you did not have insurance and do not intend to purchase it, you must pay the entire amount due reflected on your courtesy notice. 

You also have the option to contest the citation by entering a not guilty plea and requesting a Court Trial or a Trial by Written Declaration.

Click here for options for contesting a citation

If you are unable to pay the full fine by the due date see the information below for payment options. If you fail to clear your citation by the due date, a civil assessment and additional penalties in the amount of $325 may be added.


Traffic citations issued to persons under age 18 are also processed by the  Traffic Division pursuant to W&I code §603.5 and the options and instructions on this website apply. If a mandatory appearance is required, a parent or legal guardian must accompany persons under age 18. 


Pay by Phone or Web: This Court accepts Visa or MasterCard only. You may pay the fine by calling our automated phone system at 530-822-3307 or by selecting the Traffic Payment button on our home page, or by clicking here. A 5% convenience fee will be added to your fine amount when paying by credit card. Our automated phone system and website are available 24 hours a day.

Pay by Mail: Send a check or money order made out to Sutter Superior Court, along with the courtesy notice, to 1175 Civic Center Blvd., Yuba City, CA 95993. Do not mail cash. Be sure to include the full amount due and include proof of correction if applicable. To ensure your payment is applied to the correct case, include your case number or citation number.

Pay in Person: Payments can be made by cash, check, money order, debit or credit card, at the Traffic Division located at 1175 Civic Center Blvd. in Yuba City. A convenience fee of $1 will be added for debit payments, and 5% for credit card payments.

Make Payment Arrangements: Installment payment arrangements can be made in the Traffic Division located at 1175 Civic Center Blvd. in Yuba City. A $35 Accounts Receivable Fee will be added to the fine.

If you are asking to make monthly payments without going to court, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Your case must not require a mandatory appearance
  • You must complete and sign an installment agreement
  • You must pay the down payment as specified by a traffic or accounting clerk

To determine eligibility, appear at the Traffic Division or call 530-822-3301 during normal business hours. Click here for more information.

Past-Due Fines

If your fine is past due and you have received a delinquency notice, click here.

Traffic Amnesty Program

Beginning October 1, 2015, the 18-month traffic violator amnesty program authorizes individuals with past-due court-ordered debt related to traffic infractions and owed prior to January 1, 2013, to have their outstanding delinquent debt reduced by either 50 or 80 percent when they meet specified eligibility criteria. For additional information please visit the Judicial Branch website

Download Document Request Form

A $15.00 fee is required for each name to be searched. Copy fees are $.50 per page, and certified copy fees are $25 per document plus $.50 per page. Please submit the Document Request Form and a self-addressed stamped return envelope with your request.

You may also conduct a record search using the  public computers located in the Records Room, located at 1175 Civic Center Blvd., Yuba City, CA 95993. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the exception of court holidays.

© 2016 Superior Court of California, County of Sutter