If you fail to pay a court ordered fine as directed in a courtesy notice or as ordered by the court, the matter will be referred to the court’s collections unit and a civil assessment notice will be issued.   

If you do not pay the fine by the due date an additional civil assessment of $325 will be added to the amount owed unless you provide written proof of "good cause" for your failure to pay. The court may also submit your case to a third-party collection vendor which could also adversely affect your credit rating.  The vendor may  attach your wages and bank account(s), or subtract it from your tax refund and/or lottery winnings without notice.



If within 20 days of mailing of the civil assessment notice, you show good cause for the failure to appear or failure to pay, the court may vacate the additional civil assessment. Good cause for failure to appear or pay is limited to  serving in the military overseas, hospitalization, incarceration, or a death of an immediate family member. You must provide written official proof signed by a military officer or doctor; an incarceration record; or death certificate to the Collection Division.

The fact that you moved is not considered an acceptable cause for failing to appear or pay. It is your obligation to notify the court of any change of address or phone number.

Once your case has been referred to the collections unit you are not eligible to attend traffic violator school unless the civil monetary assessment has been paid.


Contact the Collections Division at (530) 822-3301. Have your case number and/or account number ready when calling.

Payment Information

Your case may be eligible for installment payments without an appearance before a judicial officer. For more information you may contact the Collections Division by calling (530) 822-3301.

You have several options for making a payment on a collections case.

In Person:

Sutter County Superior Court

1175 Civic Center Blvd., Yuba City, CA 95993

Monday-Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (excluding weekends and Holidays).


Online Payment System

A convenience fee of 1.99% ($1.00 minumum) will be added to your payment .  Our website is available 24 hours a day. 

(Accounts that have been referred to the Franchise Tax Board are not eligible for payment online)


By Mail:

Superior Court of California County of Sutter 

1175 Civic Center Blvd

Yuba City, CA 95993

Check or Money Order should be made payable to: Sutter Superior Court Do Not Mail Cash






Outside Collection Vendors

Franchise Tax Board-Court Ordered Debt

P.O. Box 1328 

Rancho Cordova, CA 95741 

Phone: (916) 845-4064

Financial Hardship and Ability to Pay

If you have a financial hardship and can show that you are unable to pay the full amount for the offenses on your traffic ticket, you may request a hearing for  the court to consider your ability to pay. If you are ordered to pay a fine you may ask the court for an installment payment plan that is based on your ability to pay, or ask the court to approve community service due to financial hardship. Forms to request community service, or a hearing to determine your ability to pay, are available on this web page.  You must complete and submit a “Declaration of Financial Circumstances for Community Service or Ability to Pay” and “Application & Declaration for Community Service or Request for Hearing on Ability to Pay Fine”. Both forms are available on the forms tab.